The Bocce Courts are now open to the public!
The City of Frederick Recreation Department’s four bocce courts are located in Room 1 of Baker Park.
When not reserved, the courts are available on a first come basis. Players must limit play to 1.5 hours if other players are waiting. The reservation schedule and the bocce court rules/policies are located here.
Bocce ball equipment is available to the public at no charge. To check out a bocce ball set, go to the lower level of the William R. Talley Recreation Center located at 121 N Bentz Street, Frederick, MD.
- Sunday night bocce pickup games hosted by the Club return in June. These are free and open to the public. No experience or equipment required. Note: Please check the AccuWeather forecast for inclement weather. When the RealFeel temperature is 92° or above at 6:00 PM, the Sunday night event will be cancelled.
- Tuesday night bocce league hosted by Frederick Social Sports. Frederick Social Sports organizes co-ed sports leagues for adults (21 and over) in Frederick County and the surrounding area. Check their website for details.
- Wednesday night Frederick Bocce Club bocce leagues run from April through September. Details and sign up dates will be announced in our newsletter.
- Thursday night “open play” for bocce club members.
- Friday morning Frederick County Senior Recreation Council bocce league will return this Spring. Check their website for more information.
Friends of Baker Park is a 501(c)(3) non-profit, volunteer-staffed community service organization dedicated to fostering community involvement in the preservation, restoration, use, and maintenance of Baker Park.
The 15-member Bocce Steering Committee was created in January 2018 under Friends of Baker Park to raise funds to build the bocce venue. With the construction of the bocce venue nearly complete, the Steering Committee’s work is nearly done, and the bocce venue will be open to the public.
Thank You! to all of the local businesses and individuals who have already donated. You are helping to get Frederick County “off of the couch and into the park”.
The finished courts are amazingly close to our original 2017 design!
Did you know?
- Bocce is the 3rd most popular sport in the world, ranking just behind soccer and golf.
- Bocce is being considered for the Olympics.
- The local DC Bocce League which began in 2004 has over 5,000 members.
- Special Olympics Unified Sports® promotes Bocce for individuals with & without intellectual disabilities. Frederick County Special Olympics has over 200 athletes.
- FCPS offers “Unified Bocce” at all ten high schools. Their 2017 tournament had 208 participants.
- Bocce is experiencing a surge in popularity across all age groups and can be an economic driver.
Potential Business Opportunity
The US Bocce Federation is seeking an indoor facility in the Mid-Atlantic region capable of hosting National and International tournaments. Indoor bocce facilities are often constructed as part of a restaurant or brewery and are used to drive traffic to those facilities.
This Methuen, MA facility hosts tournaments that draw hundreds of elite bocce players from around the world. Click here to see more photos and additional information…
View archived content here…